Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Third times a charm...

Took the San Jose version 2.0 out for a couple hour spin today. In an effort to get to know her better before cross season. This afternoon switched out old tires for new. The heavy but durable wire beaded WTB terrainasaurus tires for some lighter Maxxis Raze tires. Inflated to the minimum recommended PSI of 50, I set out from Lafayette to Marshall Mesa. With me I brought a tube, pump, 15mm wrench, 1 gel, and 2 bottles water with a little gatorade.
Nice ride out to the mesa via Coal creek path then up the koppenburg hill and onto the mesa trails. Scooted out across 93 and over to springbrook trail. Headed back via community ditch and backtracked the trails on the east side. Ran into some oncoming bike traffic and pulled off trail abruptly. As soon as I got going again, I heard and felt the air leaving my front tire.
I promptly began the task of chaging the tube. No evidence of any goatheads or punctures from the outside. Took tube out and filled with some air and saw the tell tale sign of "snakebite". Grabbed my new tube and inserted that and pumped up the tire and rebolted the wheel back in place. Ready to go right? Thats what I thought. I started rolling the bike and realized that the rear tire was flat too.
Unfortunately I did not have another tube, nor a patch kit,or a bus pass, or money ,or my cell phone. WTF. I started walking getting ready for a long walk home, when along came a mountain biker. He asked and offered some help. Then another rider came by, he had a patch kit and I was back in business. 5-10 minutes later , patch applied and tube installed I was ready to roll. I thanked both guys and took off back home.
3rd flat in 2 days. Flatted the day before on commute home from Boulder. Quite amazing is the fact that these three flats are what I have had this season.
Knock knock knock on wood.

Walt

No comments: